Sunday, January 5, 2014

Book Review: The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Watermill Press, 1987 (originally published 1911); 278 pages

It seems that Frances Hodgson Burnett liked to write about English orphans from India. When Mary Lenox's parents die from cholera, she is sent to live with her uncle in Yorkshire. While there, she decides to look for the garden that her uncle ordered sealed up after her aunt's death in the garden.

I read The Secret Garden as a child, but it wasn't a favorite back then and it's not a favorite now. There wasn't really anything technically wrong with it; I just didn't like it. I did, however, like the Yorkshire setting. My ancestors were from Yorkshire (well, the ones that weren't Irish or German), about 50 miles southeast of Misselthwaite Manor, and I liked the glimpse into the landscapes they would have seen and how they would have talked before they immigrated to the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment